Vegan Roast Turkey
Posted on November 10, 2021
This roast skips the seitan and hours upon hours of preparation thanks to the ease of using Deliciou’s Plant-Based Chicken mix, with the longest part being leaving something to simmer or bake so you can go and have a drink. It’s the perfect excuse to make some killer sides to go with this masterpiece of a plant-based centrepiece: think gravy, roasted vegetables, green beans or potatoes. The more fixings, the more likely people will foolishly fill up too quickly and leave you precious leftovers. Adapted from The Vegan Butcher by Zacchary Bird.
Prep time: 20-30 min
Cook time: 90 min
Serves: 6-8 with sides
- 7oz dry stuffing mixture
- ¾ - 1 cup mushroom broth
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free butter, melted
- 2 boxes Deliciou Plant-Based Chicken (10 oz)
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1.5 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 heaped tsp chicken-style boullion powder
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp maggi seasoning (or dark soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (2.5fl oz) bourbon whiskey
- 1½ Tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz) maple syrup
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2-3 rice paper sheets
- vegetable oil, for baking
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Prepare the stuffing by mixing the mushroom broth with melted butter. In a large bowl, pour most of the liquid over the stuffing mixture. Mix to combine, then add the remaining liquid if needed to bring together.
- Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and heap the stuffing on top. Enclose the stuffing in the plastic wrap and mould into a fat log. Place in the freezer as you proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- To prepare the turkey meat, combine the Deliciou Plant-Based Chicken mix with all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a jug, combine the stock powder, maggi seasoning and liquid smoke with 16 fl oz of cold water. Pour the liquid in with the dry ingredients, allow to sit for a few minutes, then stir through the oil.
- Divide the turkey meat into thirds. Lay out another sheet of plastic wrap and place two-thirds of the turkey meat on top. Smooth it out until you have an even layer. Unwrap the stuffing log, then place on top. Use the plastic wrap to enclose and completely seal the stuffing in the turkey meat. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil and place your roast on top.
- Using creative license and clean wet hands, shape the body into as realistic a turkey shape as you please – or a simple log will do. To approximate the shape, shape one end to be larger and rounded, then taper off the other end.
- Divide the remaining turkey meat into rough quarters and approximate into two smaller 'wings' before positioning them on the rounded end of your roast. Use the remaining meat to shape two larger ‘legs’ to adhere to the other end to complete the shape.
- In a small bowl, combine all the maple-bourbon glaze ingredients. Use a pastry brush to spread some of the glaze over the roast. Now for the skin, briefly wet each rice paper sheet with water, wipe off the excess. When it’s pliable, place it over the roast. Use kitchen scissors to trim the excess and cut the rice paper near the various 'folds' of the turkey so that it evenly covers the roast. Tuck in any loose ends and spread more glaze over the skin.
- Cover the turkey with foil and roast for 1 hour, lovingly re-glazing as needed – every 20 minutes or so. Remove the foil and roast for a further 30 minutes until the skin begins to crisp up and turn golden brown. Carve it up and serve it up with all the usual sides to make it the ultimate plant-based Thanksliving, Christmas or Sunday roast feast.
Grab your Deliciou Plant-Based Chicken online and get shipping for all orders over $30.